Did you know…
In 1803, the Lydecker Homestead, located at 228 Grand Avenue in Englewood was built. It has remained within the family ever since.
Many of the streets in the city of Englewood remain examples of the diverse backgrounds of its early known settlers. Examples of such Dutch setters: Brinckerhoff, Van Brunt, Lydecker, Van Nostrand, and Durie; French settlers: Demarest (de Marais), DeMott, Lozier (LeSueur), and Huguenot; and the English settlers: Moore, Lawrence, Day, and Cole.
The Liberty Pole was erected in Englewood to celebrate the repeal of the Stamp Act. Liberty Pole Tavern was the inn which became the center of economic, political, and social activity.
General George Washington housed his Headquarters in 1780 at the northeast corner of the intersection of Palisade Avenue and Tenafly Road in Englewood.
Before Englewood’s first railroad station was built in 1859, it required a traveler to endure a 3 hour stagecoach trip to reach Hoboken in order to board a ferry for New York City.
A third large station was built in Englewood in 1887 due to rapidly increasing railroad traffic. Englewood’s rail traffic increased to 46 trains each way!
By 1903, Englewood sported 13 hotels, including the “Englewood House,” a huge railroad hotel.
Before moving to Tenafly Road and Pleasant Avenue, Liberty Union School, Englewood’s first public school was located near the Liberty Pole.
Englewood’s first fire house was built in 1888. Also in 1888, the Englewood Hospital Association was formed and by 1890 Englewood opened its hospital.
Teaneck seceded from Englewood in 1891 and in 1895 Englewood Cliffs did the same.
Englewood’s original First Presbyterian Church was built in 1860 on the corner of Palisade Avenue and Dwight Place, opening its doors in June of 1860, officially becoming the first Presbyterian congregation in Bergen County. By the turn of the century, many other congregations were built in Englewood, including Ahavath Torah, the first orthodox synagogue in Bergen County.
Englewood’s development was stimulated by the trolley service, which had been instituted in 1896. Due to the influence of the automobile, in May of 1937, the Public Service Trolley made its final run to Englewood. The last passenger train soon followed in 1966.
Dizzy Gillespie is one of many distinguished residents of Englewood and an area of downtown Englewood is named after him.